Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Post I've Been Wanting to Write For Weeks

Moves of any sort are rough. There are the three distinct phases, the build up, the move, and the wind down, and each phase carries with it its own indigenous stress.

Well the dust has settled and we have re-established the delicate, vital order that holds our little family together. Now it is time to give thanks.

About a month ago, my mom and I put together an impromptu Thanksgiving dinner. My brother completed his coursework for his B.A. and his favorite meal is, well, Thanksgiving. The act of eating Thanksgiving got me thinking about first, how happy I was to get a turkey dinner, even if it came with air conditioning and shorts in July. However, before the sedating effects of the tryptophan could set in, I began to think about how none of this great leap across the world could have been possible without the undying support and efforts of our loved ones.

It was a bewildering summer of what ifs and what nexts? But when I think about all the moments and experiences we were able to cram into the couple of months we had in Michigan, I have to say that Summer of 2010 is one of the best I can remember.

Sure we did a lot. We stood post to watch the S.S. Badger come into dock in the evening evening, we ate "our" first ice cream cone, we saw Elk, and deer, and beavers. I learned how to crochet, and play Mahjong, and bake bread. Jude learned how to moo, baa, and neigh. We parked it and beached it...

But by far, the best moments of our summer, were the ones spent with family and friends. I am taken aback by how many good people made the trek all the way up to Ludington to visit with us and show us how much we mean to them. For this I am thankful.

This summer will keep me warm well into the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment